Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Convert-a-Bench

I was shopping the other day at the little store they have here on post that has stuff that the prisoners make. It's mostly iron and wood kinds of things, and it's kind of nice to see the uniqueness of the items made by the inmates. Apparently they are known for making these convert-a-benches. It's basically a normal looking bench, but the back rest part flips up and can create a picnic table when two benches are put together. The benches were selling for over 200 dollars, but then I noticed that they were also selling the hardware kits and you could put it together yourself. So I decided to just get the kit and make the bench on my own. I got the wood, and then stained it, and then put it all together. Overall not a hard process, just took time because I did two coats of stain for the benches. We are looking forward to using them at the birthday party for Andrew and Geoff this weekend!

No comments: